Spice Health: 10 Serious Side Effects of Turmeric
Our foods are not complete without spices. Furthermore, with the time passing as the human need and greed for things one wants have become vaster and vaster and demanding, our food circle has grown so vast that one can spend one’s whole life searching and tasting different kinds of foods and dishes all around the world.
Spices complete our need for flavor in foods. In the beginning, humans weren’t interested in materials in their diet as the most crucial reason for living was surviving for them. With the time passing, we started urging for something new and more, and that’s where all the spices and herbs were grown and invented to enhance the taste and flavor of our consumables.
List of must-have spices and herbs in your kitchen
If you are a food or cooking lover, you will be aware of the essentialness of spices and herbs in your kitchen. It’s essential to keep a thorough check of spices and herbs available in your home if you like to do experiments with your cooking. Spice love is not just limited to one or two states or continent; they have been distributed in multiple types and consist of amazing flavors that can enhance any simple or understandable dish instantly.
Here are some of the most common spices and herbs used all around us.
- Apple Pie Spice
- Bay Leaves
- Chili Powder
- Cinnamon–Ground and Stick
- Curry Powder
- Dill Weed
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Peppercorns
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Vanilla–Extract and Beans
Whether you are cooking traditional national food or international cuisine dish, you need t to have your knowledge about the spices that you are going to use in them.
Can healthy spices harm our health?
While discussing spice use, we may be lured into the aroma and flavour of these spices and herbs, but one must know that there is always another side to the story. As we know, everyone is born with a different immune and digestion system, and if one is taking ginger powder regularly in his meals and is alright with it, then the other person will not feel the same.
Using spices accordingly is the main issue here. When we came to know about spices, they were initially used for medicinal purpose and not long after they were introduced into the food circle as flavor enhancers. Every spice holds its nature and must be consumed accordingly.
If someone finds issues with specific spices that he or she uses, he must reach out for help and understand which one is not good for them.
Turmeric, a unique spice
While mentioning the reliable and effective spices, we come to say a popular and effective spice that is consumed all over the world in regular meals frequently. Turmeric is known as a spice which is taken from a turmeric plant. It’s commonly adapted in cooking curries and known as the Asian food spice. Turmeric has a warm and bitter taste with the intense color presentation which enhances the flavor and color of curry and other Asian dishes.
Aside from foods and cooking, turmeric is also used as a medicinal remedy for pain relief and inflammation. It can be used in hot beverages like tea and warm milk to soothe the pain in the body. Furthermore, turmeric works excellent for heartburn, high cholesterol, liver disease, itching, memory strengthening, stress-relieving and much other pain-related conditions for many people. Although, we still need solid scientific pieces of evidence for all of these problems and turmeric solution proof.
Turmeric side effects
We know you must be wondering how such a useful and demanded spice can have any side effects? Well, as we mentioned, not every spice is made for everyone. Even though it works great for specific terms, it may trigger some of the bad spots of the body as well. Let us give you some examples of 10 dangerous side effects of turmeric.
- If you are a pregnant woman and you consume turmeric in the form of food through your mouth, then turmeric is likely safe for you. But, if it’s taken in a kind of medicinal amount through your mouth, then it’s very unsafe for you in this situation. It can trigger a menstrual period and stimulate the uterus, which is dangerous for your baby and pregnancy.
- Turmeric can also make your gallbladder worse so if you have gallstones or a bile duct obstruction, do not use turmeric in any form.
- Extended use of turmeric lightens the blood and makes it easy to bleed out more than usual with just a bruise. It may turn you into a patient of the bleeding disorder, so keep the use of turmeric to its minimum.
- Diabetic people are also recommended to avoid turmeric while treating their disease as it’s reported that turmeric can decrease the blood sugar in the patient’s blood more than it should be.
- Some people are very light on their stomach and can quickly develop a stomach disease or issue with a little use of specific spice. Turmeric can cause a stomach problem in these people, which is also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Avoid turmeric at all costs if you are indicated this disease.
- There is a specific agent in turmeric known as Curcumin that is responsible for all the good and adverse effects of turmeric on our health. This agent most likely works like a harmonic-estrogen which can be bad for harmonic circle in our body. However, after research, turmeric has been shown as a good sign for fighting hormone-sensitive cancer cells. Still, take caution when consuming turmeric in any form until solid proofs are published.
- Turmeric leaves an effect on the sperm movement if consumed by men regularly. Taking it in a medicinal form may affect infertility in men, so if anyone is trying to have a baby, they must avoid turmeric for some time.
- Turmeric also affects iron consumption and may make it hard for our body to absorb iron from iron-rich foods. If you are a patient of iron-deficiency, avoid turmeric as much as you can.
- If you are going to have a surgery related to any internal issues that you may have, turmeric may make it hard for the blood to stop during operation. If you use turmeric on a casual basis in foods, then it won’t be a problem for you.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammation spice that is strong in effect. Hence, if you are a high blood pressure patient, and you are suggested to avoid turmeric in hot beverages to prevent any cardio attack or pressure as it may affect your blood circulation and gives you high blood pressure.
All you have to do is to keep a safe distance of use I turmeric and you will never have to face any problem regarding turmeric side effects. Turmeric is a great spice that works miracles for several health issues, but one must always learn about the second side of the story as well and know about what one is consuming daily. You never know what standard item can become a reason for something unstoppable in your life.
Click here to know more.